Edible Editorial: Minnesota News Today
With the vast diversity of Minnesota food cultures, let's look at some news about the ways the community exchanges food throughout the state.
Robo-Regulations: Minneapolis City Council is looking to regulate long-term use of Starship food delivery robots at the university of Minnesota to prevent potential food service job harm, according to the Minnesota Daily. Robin Wonsley, Minneapolis City Council Member said research on what the regulations will entail is ongoing, but a report about the regulation will be given to the Public Health and Safety Committee in May.
Excuse me for my plastic taste: Minneosta lawmakers pushed a bill that would limit plastic food packaging containing a chemical called phthalates, according to KTTC. The chemical is used to make plastic more flexible and durable for easier transport. Sen. Heather Gustafson, who authored the bill, said phthalate, when it absorbs into food, can lead to reproductive harm and even some types of cancers.
Future Food Bank in Duluth: Anti-hunger organization Second Harvest Northland finished the first phase of renovations for a new food bank in Duluth, Minnesota, according to MPR. The organization identified the need for a larger facility in 2019, and raised $20 million to fund the renovations through the fundraising program Nourish the Northland.
Community Question: How are you preparing for your midterms?
"Just staying caught up on studying for classes like doing readings and stuff"
-Kat Nikkel, 22, freshman, product design major, of Woodbury, Minnesota
Quote of the day:
"I’m kind of a foodie. So during the summer I walk, and one of my routes is the North Loop. I love the food houses. I like Ray J.’s. And I can just try things—my husband and I frequent Freehouse in the summer, but I also love the coffee shop there because they have great Bogart’s Donuts."
-Rev. Dr. DeWayne Davis, Minneapolis mayoral candidate, in a Racket interview about his candidacy, discussing local eateries he frequents around the city. Davis further discusses his choice to run for mayor and his campaign goals in the interview. Racket interviewed Davis for their series "Let's Taco 'Bout Politics" where they interview 2025 Minneapolis mayoral candidates while eating at a local Mexican restaurant in the city.
I decided to write on subjects pertaining to food and eating because food culture is an important part of Minnesota's community and a significant part of life in general.
This is relevant because the costs of living, particularly as they relate to the price of food and groceries, are a highly discussed topic throughout the country currently.

Comments
Post a Comment